There is no word for feeling nostalgic about the future, but that’s what a parent’s tears often are, a nostalgia for something that has not yet occurred. They are the pain of hope, the helplessness of hope, and finally, the surrender to hope. – Michael Ian Black
Parenting is a title that most humans look forward to be labeled. Majority look forward to have a minion(s) of their own that looks up to them for guidance, wisdom and care. Getting pregnant naturally however may not be a luxury that many enjoy. Some couples may try to get offspring but somehow the natural way may seem not to work. Science has redeemed couple’s chances of being called parents through the In-Vitro fertilization.
In-Vitro Fertilization, (IVF) is an amazing gift that’s not a really cheap. It takes a lot of financial determination and savings for one to enjoy the chance to undergo IVF. The Teacher’s Service Commission in partnership with Minet has ensured the TSC registered teachers will have all options at their disposal when it comes to trying to seek offspring.
TSC in partnership with Minet has given the teachers the health they deserve. Minet health cover hasn’t just offered IVF. More benefits that TSC teachers enjoy under the Minet are not limited to are: Chemotherapy, Psychiatry and counseling, Radiology, Dialysis, Maternity packages, Emergency road and Air rescue, Dental, Optical services among others.
The Principal members (the TSC registered teachers) can register for Minet services through:
Mobile phone (USSD) registration
- Dial *865# from your Safaricom or Airtel line
- Key in your TSC and National ID number when prompted. The details will be verified against the TSC database.
- If successful you will be prompted to enter your Name (surname and other names), Date of Birth, role, gender and NHIF number.
- Once done you will receive a message confirming your successful registration on to the scheme and a prompt to register your dependents.
The beauty is that Minet covers both the teacher and his/her immediate dependents that are the spouse and the children. With the health sector being listed on the President’s big four agenda. It’s key that the key contributors to the economy and their families get taken care of. The dependents are registered through the following process.
Registration of dependents
- Dial *865#, select the dependent you wish to register i.e. Spouse or Child.
- Enter date of birth, full names, ID number/birth certificate number. Repeat this process for all dependents.
- You will receive an SMS requiring you to submit to Minet a scanned copy of your marriage certificate or chiefs letter for customary marriages, scanned copies of your children’s birth certificate or birth notification, scanned copy of college ID for dependents over 18 to email@example.com
For dependent children over eighteen (18) years of age, kindly provide their ID numbers
- Registration documents to be scanned and submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Birth certificate or birth notification for new born babies
- Legal adoption papers for adopted children
- Documentary evidence that dependants over 18 years are enrolled in a recognized post-secondary institution. Such as a copy of the current school ID or enrollment letter.
- For religious and civil marriages-marriage certificates. For customary marriage: signed affidavit or chief’s letter.
Minet is not just a health cover; it also journeys with the beneficiaries through loss. No matter the job group, when the Principal contributor passes on; Minet compensates the immediate family a sum of Kshs. 100,000 within 48 hours via Mobile Money Transfer. The process of claim for the as follows.
A Death Notification, a Burial Permit or an official TSC letter can be sent by email to Minet Kenya. The email should include the following:
• Name of Deceased
• TSC Number
• Date of Death
• Next of kin’s name and designation (spouse and children)
• Next of kin’s ID Number
• Next of kin’s contact (mobile number)
Teachers should ensure that the next of kin information held by their employer (TSC) is correct and up to date including phone numbers.
NOTE: This benefit is only applicable to the principal member (teacher) and not dependants.